Thursday, July 26, 2007

Food note 2


One of the common ways of using the abundant fruit of Brazil is in fresh fruit drinks. Here's a picture of a drink made from pineapple and mint (abacaxi com hortelã, accent on the last syllable of both words). I think you just toss the ingredients into a blender with more or less sugar. I've had this twice, and it's very refreshing. I've also had one made from the acerola fruit, a small red fruit very high in vitamin C (this one really does need some sugar, but the abacaxi com hortelã does not).

The sandwich here is carne seco (sun dried meat), a common product of Pernambuco.

The picture below is of the appetizer we had for this lunch, called tapioca. It's a kind of quesadilla, with a crust made from tapioca flour and filled with cheese (or other ingredients, such as tomatoes and onions). Not what Americans who remember school lunches in the 1950s and 60s think of as tapioca. Note the plate in this picture. I'll write about that later. (I missed a chance to take a picture of a seafood stew last Sunday, a moqueca, characteristic of the Bahía area south of here.)

2 comments:

cfcasper said...

The Ph.D. students are now in the loop, thanks to Jan. Very interesting so far -- I'll look forward to reading it more in the next few weeks. Having never been to Brazil myself, the only advice I can give is music related: to investigate the work of Heitor Villa-Lobos, if you're not already familiar with him. An interesting mix of influences, blending Brazilian choros with J.S. Bach.

Carolyn said...

Thanks, Christian, I had forgotten Villa-Lobos in the cacophony of so much contemporary Brazilian music.

And I'm learning how much "we bloggers" love to get comments. Thanks to everyone who has commented so far.