Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Food note: fruit

When you go into a restaurant of any pretensions, the first thing that comes around after the menu (or even before) is a plate of fruit. What you are being offered is a your choice of fruit for a fruit drink, with the caipirinha as the model. The classic caipirinha is made from cachaça, the sugar cane spirit that is all over Brazil, with lime, a bit of sugar, and ice. It can also be made with other fruit, and the fruit tray in this picture has a mango in the center, and clockwise from the strawberries, limes and passion fruit, the cajú, a pinha, a cut graviola (this is a fairly small one), and grapes.

The cajú is quite interesting, as well as being attractive. The red-orange part is technically not the fruit, but a false fruit or peduncle. It is spongy inside with no internal structure, seeds, or membranes, and has a bland, somewhat astringent taste. The brownish thing on the top is the real fruit, which we call the cashew nut, and the Brazilians call a castanha. The nut itself is inside a coarse hull, which is quite poisonous, as it contains urushiol, the same irritant that is in poison ivy. The cajú, a small tree, is native to this part of Brazil, and the fruits are sold in grocery stores and by roadside vendors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I continue to enjoy your blog which makes me more aware than ever of how Eurocentric we are. Carl left here just in time to escape the terrible heat. It was 104 yesterday, and forecast is the same for today. David is golfing with my brother (crazy, but my brother is here and can't pass up the opportunity to play one of the famous Pinehurst courses). So, without his guidance, I just trust this comment reaches you as I am confused as to whether this is reaching your or the world. I selected the "anonymous" option as I don't have a website, nor am I a google blogger. Have a safe trip home! I wish you could bring those wonderful fruit drinks home with you. Greetings to Carl.
Mary Helen

Anonymous said...

Thanks for explaining what the caju is. . .now I want to know about the pinha and the graviola!