Sunday, August 5, 2007

Meanwhile, back on campus …

In case there's anyone out there who thinks I'm spending too much time on the beach or on tourism, I thought I'd document some of the time I spend on campus at UFPE. Here's a picture of the building I work in: a Centro, I gather, is much like a school or a college in a US university; this one comprises eight departments, including Letters, Communication, Music, and Design.
I work in the office of Prof. Luis Antonio Marcuschi, a German-trained text linguist who first brought my work to the attention of Angela Dionisio. Unfortunately, he is quite ill and is not teaching, so I have not met him.
My class now has 16 enrolled students and 5 auditors, plus the occasional visitor. Here's a picture taken just before one of our breaks, when the discussion got particularly animated. There are other students around to the left that the photo didn't catch.

This coming week, my last here in Recife, will be a very busy one. Chuck Bazerman will be here, and we have several events together. On Monday, my class will meet as part of an open forum discussion with the two of us about Plagiarism, Originality, and the Internet. I will discuss the class I have taught at NC State that I call Problems of Authorship: Plagiarism, Ghostwriting, and Collaboration. On Tuesday, I have the last regular meeting of class (and I have papers to read and return before then!). Then on Wednesday, Chuck and I will be driven to João Pessoa, north of here in Paraíba state to give presentations (and for a little tourism). We come back that same day because Chuck has a talk scheduled in the evening. Then on Thursday is an all-day seminar on digital literacy (Letramento Digital) that includes several other faculty from UFPE and from other regional universities. I will again give my paper-in-progress on stability in internet genres. I will write more about these events as they happen, if I can find time.

Here's the notice about these events from the the PPGL program website.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Carolyn, you look very happy in that office picture. But then who wouldn't be happy with the students applauding in class, no committee assignments to deal with, and the administration speaking a language you're not even supposed to understand? What a great gig! And what an interesting tale you have to tell.